Strikers 1945 - Atlus/Psikyo
by S. Ives (Scorpion1999@worldnet.att.net)
Overview: A vertically scrolling shooter with a WWII theme. Choose your
plane, and shoot down enemy fighters en route to the bosses. Blow up
some ground targets while you're at it as well. These bosses aren't
your typical one-minute-and-they-bite-it type, no way. They will go
through several forms before you finally wipe them out. The game is
similar to Capcom's 1943, 1941, or 19xx.
Opinions: Here is a list of some things I liked (+) and also didn't like
(-)about this game:
- - Limited selection of weapons. You have just homing missiles, one gun
that you power up with P-icons, and bombs.
- + You have option probes that follow you wherever you go, ala R-Type.
They shoot the aformentioned homing missiles. If you hold the fire
button for a second and then release it, your probes will fire a really
rippin' rapid fire laser which will come in very handy whenever you face
those badder-than-heck bosses.
- + Thank goodness for bombs. You'll need 'em.
- -Unlimited continues enable you to breeze through it in one shot if you
keep continuing. I usually limit myself to 5 continues. This knocks a
couple points off the Lasting Power score.
- + VERY nice graphics, with detailed backgrounds & some parallax. A
little scaling on some enemies is used occasionally. (i.e. a couple of
- + Nice music fits the game quite well.
- + Regressive-point continues kick in after a certain level (you bite
the dust and see Game Over, you continue, you restart the level.). Adds
a little challenge (while letting you go back and grab a few power ups
before you rejoin the boss).
- + The bomb sequence is awesome. Hit Bomb and your plane does a barrel
roll, then drops it causing a killer explosion. KA-BLAAAMM!!!!
Lasting Power: 7
All products are trademarks of their respective companies.
Questions or comments? Contact dEX.